Thursday, February 18, 2010

Social Bookmarking (Delicious.com) (NETS IV)

1. National Archives - I chose to focus on the American Originals exhibit. I saw that there were a lot of original documents that they have for students to be able to go on this website and use as primary resources. It is important to use primary resources so that you know the information is accurate of what "eye witnesses" or first accounts saw the information or saw the incident. It is important to see those things in the original language and tone also.


2. National Education Association - Student groups that that experience achievement gaps are: racial and ethnic minorities, english language learners, students with disabilities, boys/girls(depending upon what year in school) and students from low-income families. The three areas I feel fit with my teaching style are:
  •  Networking with families and communities to find the needs of the minority students. I chose this because I think it is very important to have parents/families and communities helping students through their education. With support from your family students typically do better throughout school.
  • Connecting with other schools and the programs they have dealing with their minority students. This is important to get other feedback to find out what works and what doesn't so you can have the best possible options for your students. You always 
  • Assessing you and your colleagues deficiencies so you can all grow as educators.  I think it is important to always be reflecting on best practices. That way you are always growing as well as your students.


3. Cyber Bullying - I got 3. When I was younger "cyberbullying" wasn't really around. I have done a few of those things but it was more because I was just curious, I wasn't trying to find out information about someone to use it against them.
While I was looking around the teacher section I came across the article that talked about how to handle the different types of cyber bullying and which tactics work for the different bullies. I was unaware that there even were four different types. Typically you just think of one kind of bully. But there are the "vengeful angel" who actually is just trying to defend someone and they don't even see themselves as a bully. To help them we can give places for them to report bullies anonymously so they don't take things into their own hands. The other types of bullies I knew of, and have experienced in my schooling and it was cool to see ways to help end them bullying kids.


4. Guide for Educators - For "Subject Access" I chose Math because I think kids start disliking it at a young age because they don't really understand it. Since it comes naturally to me I have this desire to want to teach all kids that math IS understandable and that they CAN do it. They just need to practice, just like they practice reading, and like other subject areas it is fun! In one of the links it was Animals and Shapes lesson. I could definitely see myself using this because they can see their everyday shapes and have to match it to the different parts of an animal, such as a triangle and the animals nose. In the Teacher Helper section I chose Assessment and Rubrics because I think it is important to always try to better yourself as a teacher and to do that you need to see what other teachers are doing that you may like better or that they are more efficient. A lot of things in the younger grades aren't based on letter grades, but they are assessments and rubrics and that is how they are graded.


5. Multiple Intelligences - Logical-Mathematical - 69%, Naturalistic - 50%, Interpersonal - 44%. I watched the video "Multiple Intelligences Leave No Child Left Behind". While watching this video and all the different kids it became so evident to me that almost all schools now-a-days don't allow for children to express their creativity. Sure there are art projects, and they have creativity in their writing, but kids don't get to show it in Social Studies and Science and P.E. and Math. When these subjects do have a "creative" aspect, it usual is just art; using colors or drawing, etc. Like the teacher towards the end said, "We need to teach kids the process of learning, not just the information." I truly believe this and I believe kids need that creative freedom to figure out how they learn best.


6. Teaching Tolerance - I chose 1st to 2nd grade in Social Studies/Art and the Lesson is called City Blocks. In this activity the children build a city made of blocks and then they run the city, some years they have elections, some years kids would just declare themselves some sort of ruler. They build house and streets and other necessary buildings. It is just like real life where if something happens in that town there are punishments. One year a little African American boy accidentally knocked over a house and the kids tried to send him to jail, but the teacher explained how that wasn't a fit punishment for the crime. It is important in this activity to show them that racism and being negative to other cultures isn't right. This activity is to help the kids be tolerant of each other and let them know that it's alright to be different.


7. Multicultural Education - The first question I found interesting was "What percentage of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender high school students report that their teachers “never” or “rarely” respond to homophobic remarks made by other students, according to a national study by GLSEN?" I was so shocked to see the correct answer was about 84%! Even if teachers don't agree with that lifestyle they have a duty and responsibility to treat all their students fairly and should defend any bullying and bad mouthing! Teachers need to fight for the rights of their students.
The second question I found most interesting was "According to the National Center for Education Statistics, what is the percentage of U.S. schools with no teachers of color on staff?" I was astounded that the answer was 40%. That is ridiculous. With how culturally diverse we are supposed to be as teachers you would assume that the schools hiring us would be the same way. But, I think it is also important to realize how many more white people go to school to be teachers than African Americans and that may also be the reason for the such drastic number.


8. Netiquette Guidelines -I got 100% on the Netiquette Quiz. :-)) I think it is really important to teach ids about netiquette, just like real life people's feelings can get hurt and then people attach what you say online to who you are offline. It is also important to teach kids because then they could teach people they know and if all people knew the rules there would be less people online being rude, spamming, and flaming on discussion boards or in chats and it wouldn't waste so many people's time and energy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment